Queen’s Park…………….1

Stirling Albion……………0

STIRLING ALBION’S long unbeaten run came to an end on Saturday as they went down to Queen’s Park by a single goal at Hampden.

John Carter struck midway through the second half to consign the Binos to their first defeat since the reverse fixture at Forthbank in September.

Stuart McLaren made two changes to the side which beat Arbroath last week, with Cammy Binnie replacing the suspended Chris Smith while Mark Lamont dropped to the bench in favour of Sean Dickson.

Willie Robertson continued as captain in the absence of Ross McMillan, with Ross Forsyth returning to the bench.

The Binos came close to taking the lead when Steven Doris broke clear before winning a 50/50 with goalkeeper Wullie Muir, but the striker stumbled following the challenge and Scott Gibson got back to clear.

Jamie McKernon then had a great chance to open the scoring, but he dragged his shot wide of Binnie’s post.

Craig Comrie did well to fashion a chance for himself when he danced through the home defence, but Muir was alert and did well to block the midfielder’s effort.

Ross Smith then made a great tackle on Paul Woods as the Spiders man burst into the Albion box.

There was scare for Albion on the half hour mark when Woods cut the ball back to Chris Duggan, who smashed his shot off the crossbar with Binnie a beaten man in goal.

Smith went close for the visitors with a header from Comrie’s corner which flew just wide of the post.

It took until the hour mark for the first chance of the second half to arrive, with Carter firing a shot wide from just outside the Binos box.

Subsitiute Forsyth then denied Carter just as the Queen’s Park man was set to pull the trigger.

But Carter would open the scoring minutes later. Robertson’s loose pass was picked up by the Spiders midfield and they broke quickly, with the striker finishing high into the net leaving Binnie with no chance.

Smith denied Woods again with a great block as the hosts searched for a second goal to kill the game off.

They thought they had scored it when Ciaran McElroy swept home the rebound after Binnie had saved from Carter, but the strike was ruled out for offside.

Despite the Binos’ need for a goal it was the home side and Carter in particular who looked more likely to get it, the striker’s latest effort looping over the bar as they continued to pose a threat.

Woods forced Binnie into a great save in the dying seconds, the teenage keeper diving full length to keep out the winger’s top corner-bound effort.

The visitors never seriously threatened after falling behind and the home side saw the game out fairly comfortably to consolidate their position in the playoff places.