Bannockburn RFC 26

Waid Academy FP 33

WAID Academy FP caused heartache to Bannockburn RFC in the last minute of a thrilling Scottish Cup clash on Saturday.

The visitors to Bluebell Wood Park got off to a flying start, going 7-0 ahead in the fifth minute, when some strong forward play ended with a try by Mark Guthrie, converted by Dylan Muir.

Then a second Waid score, a nicely planned move from a scrum finished off by skipper Alan Drysdale, stretched the lead to 14 with Muir once again adding the extra points.

Bannockburn fought back, however, with captain Mark Wetton leading from the front. A strong forward play by Lachlan Davit and Greig Brown got the home side close to the visitor's line.

Waid were then penalised for going offside and the Bannockburn skipper surprised the defence with a quick tap penalty, finding a gap and dotting down to make it 14-5.

Continuing to impress for Waid, Drysdale finished off another two tries in quick succession, with the visitors stretching their lead to 26-5 as half-time approached.

The second home try came just before the break, winger David Davidson caused mayhem with a break down the left, looking like he will go all the way.

Waid's defence covered excellently to keep him out, but Bannockburn recycled quickly with Wetton making a neat dummy-and-break before touching down for his second try. With his conversion, the half-time score was 26-12 to Waid.

Inching their way back into the game following the break, a succession of forward drives; involving Gavin Miller, Kyle Dalziel, Aaron Moison and Alan Greenwood; took the play within yards of the Waid line.

Kevin McCormack held off the attention of several defenders to get over the line and with Wetton's conversion, the deficit closed to seven points.

The home side continued to be threatening; Scott McGown linked well with Wetton and Bailey McClay in the midfield with the back three of Iain Duncan, Francis Walker and Nick Wales impressing on the counter attack.

Wetton completed a hat-trick of scores with 15 minutes to go, when he intercepted a pass just outside the Waid 22 and sprinted home – his conversion then levelled the score.

But Waid Academy did not stop – their winning try came in the last minute and was a terrific effirt.

Despite Bannockburn pressure in a scrum on their own 22, the ball was switched wide and shipped on to Drysdale who dashed clear down the left and over the line to win the close match.

Given the superb performances, two man of the match awards were given out to hat-trick hero Wetton and rampaging flanker Davit.

The Bannockburn side wanted to say thanks to strip sponsors Molly Malones Stirling and David Reid Group Ltd for their continued support.

Bannockburn RFC welcomes players of all ages and experience levels. Find them on Facebook or on Twitter @bannonckburnrfc.