Stirling County won this tense encounter with Aberdeen Grammar with a try in the final minute of injury time to secure their first win in 10 matches and boost their hopes of avoiding relegation. This was a must-win match for County against their Caledonia rivals, but it was the visitors who had the bulk of the possession and territory in the first quarter, and dominated the early scrummaging. Grammar went ahead through a penalty kick by stand-off Sam Knudson on 19 minutes after County strayed offside. County responded straight from the restart, with Craig Deacons regaining possession just outside the visitors’ 22, before offloading to the supporting Kris Burney for the prop to score the opening try in the left corner. Brian Archibald converted to give County a 7 – 3 lead on 20 minutes.

Ross Murray came on at tight-head in place of Jamie Bhatti to secure the scrum, but poor field kicking by the home side presented Grammar with attacking opportunities, although County stood firm in defence and restricted the visitors to a single 30-metre penalty chance but the ball drifted wide of the uprights. County also missed a long-range penalty attempt just before the break in a tight first half. Stuart Edwards replaced Archibald at the start of the second-half, but it was the visitors who continued to apply the pressure, being held-up twice over the County try-line. The Bridgehaugh side brought on Ruiriadh Leishman and Reyner Kennedy for Matt Laresen and Alex Moffat respectively, and Shuan McDonald replaced Rory Hughes on the left-wing, as the play began to open-up.

With 10 minutes remaining Aberdeen went 10 – 7 in front from a quick-tap penalty and try under the posts by Tom Preece, converted by Mark Ryan, after County were penalised for collapsing an attacking scrum.

The visitors looked like holding out until the final minute when a concerted County attack ended with a penalty being awarded to the home side under the posts after Grammar were penalised for offside.

For County it was now all or nothing, and Edwards kicked the penalty to the corner.

From the line-out County mounted one final attack, and the following numerous driving phases on the visitors line, Murray dived through for the crucial touchdown.

The winning try was converted by Edwards with the last kick of the match, much to the relief of the home support.

County’s Man of the Match, sponsored by John Graham Metals, was Jamie Swanson. Stirling County: Addison, Lindsay, Gilmour, Archibald, Hughes, Lyle, Watt; Burney, Moffat, Bhatti, Deacons, Larsen, Robertson, Bordill, Swanson. Replacements: Kennedy, Murray, McDonald, Leishman, Edwards.