Cumbernauld Colts..................1

Stirling Albion..........................3

Stirling Albion rounded off their pre-season preparations with a victory over Cumbernauld Colts at Broadwood, writes Jamie Hall

Moses Olanrewaju opened the scoring before Scott Davidson adding a second, with the home side pulling one back after half an hour. Mark McKenzie restored the visitors’ two-goal lead with the final kick of the game.

The Binos’ starting lineup featured new signings Jamie Mills, Bryan Hodge, Jack McCue, Darren Petrie and Eddie Ferns as the visitors looked to prepare for their return to competitive action.

The early pressure was mostly from the home side but it was Albion who made the breakthrough after 2 minutes. David Verlaque picked out Ferns at the back post, and his header back across goal fell to Moses Olanrewaju who tapped the ball into an unguarded net.

McCue then passed up a great chance to double his side’s lead, firing wide after a good counter-attacking move involving Darren Smith and Ferns.

However, the Binos’ second did arrive moments later. Darren Petrie swung a cross in and Scott Davidson, left alone by the Colts defence, stooped to loop a header into the net.

Smith jinked his way through the Colts defence but a defender got a toe on his effort before the goalkeeper gathered easily, before another effort was well saved by the home stopper.

The home side pulled a goal back with half an hour played. A crisp passing move saw them cut through the Albion defence, and although Cammy Binnie made a terrific save, the ball broke to Colts’ centre forward Andrew Selkirk, who couldn’t miss from a yard out.

Smith was denied again after racing onto another ball over the top before Ross McMillan’s effort on the half-volley was deflected over the bar.

Shortly after the interval, Petrie could have opened his account for the club when a loose ball fell to him on the edge of the box but he couldn’t keep his effort down.

At the other end, Binnie was forced into a decent save after a Colts player cut inside and fired a shot towards goal.

David Verlaque should have probably done better when he was sent racing clear by half-time substitute Blair Henderson, but a defender got back to make a crucial block.

Mark McKenzie did well to get to burst into the box and cut the ball back but the ball was cleared away before any of his team-mates could get there.

But in the final minute the former Elgin winger got his name on the scoresheet, capitalising on a defensive mistake to round off the scoring.

That was the final action of a game which will have pleased the Binos ahead of Saturday’s league cup opener against local rivals Falkirk at Forthbank.

Stirling Albion: Binnie, Verlaque, Mills (Trialist), Davidson(Burns), McMillan (R. Smith), Hodge (McNab), Petrie, McCue (Docherty), D. Smith (McKenzie), Olanrewaju (Henderson), Ferns (McAllister).

Stirling News Sport man of the match: Eddie Ferns.