Stirling University 0-2 Whitehill Welfare Scottish Sun Lowland Football League Saturday 29 March 2014 Stirling University FC were brought back down to earth in a week when they were crowned British Universities Champions.

The Lowland League defeat to Whitehill Welfare came just three days after Stirling won its first ever British Cup Final, when a Paul Sludden brace was enough to defeat their English opponents Loughborough University in Surrey.

It completed a student league and cup double in British University competitions and the students will bid to add the Scottish title when they face Heriot-Watt University in the Queen’s Park Shield Final on Wednesday (2 April).

Whitehill represented a formidable league opponent at the weekend, undefeated in 2014 and a banana skin side for Stirling, the two sides having met three times this season with Stirling yet to taste victory.

After an even start, Whitehill had a great chance to take the lead on 31 minutes, striker Aaron Somerville stinging the palms of stand-in Stirling stopper Ed Tierney, who tipped the ball wide.

At other end, Stirling striker Chris Geddes found himself behind the Whitehill defence following a neat through-ball by Calum Burns, but the normally deadly finisher opted to pass when a shot seemed the better option and the visiting defence cut out the danger.

Geddes – on 20 goals in all competitions – did have a crack soon after, but Whitehill keeper Bryan Young expertly tipped the ball away.

With half-time looming, Whitehill broke down the right and the ball was played into the box for Andrew Kidd. Tracking back, Stirling midfielder Kyle Faulds couldn’t delay his momentum and barged into Kidd, giving away a penalty which Somerville dispatched with ease.

And shortly after half-time, Whitehill doubled their advantage, Willie Kidd rifling in from close-range after Stirling failed to clear a cross from the right.

At this, Stirling Head Coach Eddie May rang the changes, Chris McKee and Faulds replaced by Sludden and Blair McWhirter then Owen Donaghue-Kelly replaced Ryan Millar.

In the last 15 minutes, Stirling had Whitehill on the back foot and came close on a couple of occasions, Sludden’s drive from 20-yards tipped over by Young who then denied Jack Nixon with an excellent stretching save.

Defeat leaves Stirling needing Spartans to drop points for the title to come into their sights once more. There was disappointment too for the Second XI, who lost 4-1 at home to Leith Athletic in the East of Scotland Premier Division, Elliot Sutcliffe scoring for the students. The Third XI played out a goalless draw with Bonnybridge YFP in the Stirling & District Premier Division.

On Saturday (5 April), the First XI are away to Selkirk in the second round of the King Cup, whilst the Second XI take on Kelso United at the University in the East of Scotland League Cup Preliminary Round, kick-off 2.30pm.

Stirling University: Tierney, Burns, Sheridan, Nixon, Sutherland, Jones, Leigh, Faulds (McWhirter), McKee (Sludden), Geddes, Millar (Donaghue-Kelly). Subs not used: Hughes, Cuff.