A GARDEN waste permit is to be introduced for Stirling Council householders from this April.

A £35 annual opt-in charge for garden waste collection, which is not a statutory service, will start on April 19 with a concession scheme in place.

The change was approved by Stirling councillors when they adopted a new household waste and recycling policy last week.

Residents in receipt of a council tax reduction will be eligible to receive their permit for no charge, along with those who receive a garden maintenance service.

A household with someone who is severely mentally impaired may also qualify for the concession.

Almost 7,000 of Stirling Council’s householders will be entitled to the free service and will receive their permit directly.

The changes were approved at a meeting of the Environment and Housing Committee on Thursday, February 11.

Councillor Jim Thomson, convener of the committee, said: “The new waste policy brings together all the existing customs and practices of the waste service in one document which will be important for public awareness, clarity and enhanced service delivery to residents.

“I am pleased to see the policy include the 100 per cent concession for the new garden waste permit for eligible households and we will shortly share more details with residents about this.

“While there aren’t significant changes to existing practice in the policy, I welcome the fact more households with larger families will be able to apply for a larger grey bin.”

As part of the changes, a household of five or more – rather than the previous six or more – can apply for their standard 240 litre grey bin to be swapped for a 360 litre bin.

Households with more than two children in nappies will also be able to apply for the non-hazardous healthcare waste collection service and receive an additional standard grey bin.

From April this year, and once the current stock is depleted, the council will no longer provide food waste caddy liners from council buildings.

Residents can instead put food waste in their caddy loose, line their caddy with newspaper or kitchen roll or purchase compostable liners from supermarkets or online.

Contaminated recycling bins are currently not emptied, however, residents will be able to request a chargeable uplift for a contaminated bin.