AN AWARD-winning Glenochil prison officer who assaulted a clubber while moonlighting as a bouncer avoided a prison sentence yesterday (Wednesday) after protesting that it would "destroy his life".

Douglas Sillars, who resigned after the incident following 15 years as a prison warden, grabbed the customer at Stirling's Fubar nightclub, who was being ejected, in a hold normally used to restrain violent criminals.

Adam Dowd, a lightly-built 23-year-old mechanical technician, was left with a fractured wrist after Sillars put him in the "gooseneck" hold and chucked him out the backdoor, hitting him in the face as he did so.

Witnesses heard Mr Dowd "screaming in pain" and begging to be released as he was marched out of the building with Sillars holding his right arm in the wristlock.

Sillars (41) was heard to tell Mr Dowd that if he kept screaming he would "give him something to scream about".

Before leaving him in the street, burly, six-foot-one-tall Sillars swung a blow, described as a "haymaker", at Mr Dowd, catching him on the side of the face.

It was seen by two women police officers passing in a patrol car.

Following the incident, Mr Dowd had to be treated at two hospitals for a fractured wrist, and was off work and in plaster for six weeks. A doctor told Stirling Sheriff Court that the pressure on the wrist ligament had been enough to tear a fragment off the bone.

Sillars, who worked for the SPS for 15 years, and for the last 11 had been a Control Restraint Instructor, admitted to jurors at his trial last month that he had "lost his professionalism" and struck Mr Dowd, but claimed the wrist-lock was applied with "only slight pressure".

He has since resigned from the prison service in the knowledge that the conviction would lead to his dismissal. Following the incident he also left his position at the Fubar.

Sillars, whose home in Glenochil Park, Glenochil, lies in the shadow of tough Glenochil Prison where he worked, was found guilty by a majority verdict of assaulting Mr Dowd by twisting his arm, all to his severe injury. He admitted striking him on the head.

At Stirling Sheriff Court, Sillars was ordered to carry out 120 hours unpaid work.

His defence solicitor, Brian Black, said, "The highlight of his career was in March this year when he was awarded the Scottish Cabinet Secretary Justice Award by Kenny MacAskill for saving a man's life. This is representative of his unblemished career.

"He appears with no record. There was no level of planning. He feels he let himself and his family down.

"This was an isolated situation.

"If he allowed to keep his liberty he wills seek employment.

"He says a custodial sentence would destroy his life." Sheriff WIlliam Gilchrist told Sillars, "The force you used was disproportionate. But I deal with this on the basis you are a first time offender and you were working as a steward responding to a call.

"I'm not going to send you to prison -- I will impose an alternative of 120 hours unpaid work."